Saturday, June 7, 2008

I'm Proud of You Jacob

I haven't put very much about my kids on the blog but I feel like I wouldn't be a good mother if I didn't acknowledge my son and his big year. He is such an example and teaches me how to be a better person. I really look up to him. He aims his goals high and achieves them one by one. What a blessing it is to be able to associate with a person like him.
Here he is with a friend at high school graduation. He had a 4.1 GPA. It was cold, rained on us the whole time and was held outside. (NOT fun!)
This was after getting his Eagle Scout Award. If you aren't familiar with scouting it takes years and years of work and service to get this award. I was amazed at what it takes to get this award. Here he is standing next to my mother after graduating seminary. This is 4 years of religious study. He also just got his Duty to God award.
Jacob ran track and cross country. This was as hard on me as it was for him. I could hardly handle watching him in such pain. We live in Arizona and it wasn't unusual for them to be running in 110 degree weather. Ouch!He finally quit playing in his band. Besides him blowing the roof off of our house, I enjoyed hearing the boys writing, singing, laughing and performing their songs.
I can go on and on but I won't. I can't take any credit for his accomplishments because he just came this way.
Your nickname "Jakey my Joy" is so fitting, because you were truly a joy to raise. I'm going to miss you when you go off to ASU. I LOVE YOU SOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Elder Gifford & Wendy Nielsen said...

In this world of "troubled teens" it is a joy to see such an accomplished, great young man. Congratulations Jacob, and thanks for sharing Carla. It made me feel so good to celebrate his successes and join in your joy. All the best at ASU!

The Wallin's said...

You really are an amazing guy Jacob! I can't believe everything you accomplished this year, way to go!!

Reflections Magazine editor said...

beautiful post!
This is a very moving and thoughtful post. I have tears in my eyes. I guess your story reminds me of my older son. I, too, believe he just "came this way" and I have had very little to do with molding the amazing human being who stands before me every night and says, "goodnight mom."

You have written a beautiful tribute to your son which should make him proud. I know you are "already" very proud....

In a world that constantly flashes the dark side of our youth, it is refreshing to see and hear that positive flames still light the way for many more.