Monday, January 26, 2009

Connie Sokol - Life Coach


We can become good at things or knowledgeable about topics, if we put the time into learning them. I remember Hyrum Smith, inventor of Franklin daytimers saying...if you want to be successful, do what successful people do. It is that simple. The people that are experts on a topic have spent years learning that topic. I am convinced that you can learn and become quite good at things, if you study and practice them for 3 months straight.
I had never been on a blog until Feb. 2008. 3 months later I had 2 years worth of entries and taught a class on it. We don't know what we are capable of doing until we try.
What if I chose gardening. What if I visited nursuries, checked out library books on gardening, started working my soil and visited expert gardeners. How good do you think I could become if I did this 3 hours each day for 3 months? I would practically be an expert.

The 3 months are going to pass by anyway.
What is something that interests you, that you could start learning about?

Carla

This is a newletter I received from Connie Sokol, a successful life coach that lives in Utah. I believe what she says.

Hi Ladies,

I happened to catch Malcom Gladwell, columnist for The New Yorker, on a KUED interview as he shared the concept of "deliberate practice". In his research of successful people, he discovered that most of them--no matter their profession, hobby, or pursuit--had in common one main thing. They had each "practiced" about 10,000 hours, which equals to about 10 years.

In relation to society "greats" such as Michael Jordan or the Beatles, what made them successful is that they got an early start. But early or late, if you put in your 10,000 hours of deliberate practice, meaning focused efforts and fine-tuning weaknesses, you will be a success in what you choose. Does this mean after almost 16 years of mothering I should be a stellar mother?!

Consider what you love to do currently and WOULD love to do in the future. Start now, a bit here, a bit there, gathering your 10,000 hours of deliberate focus. And who knows what you can do to change the world!
All my best,
Connie

1 comment:

Jim Auwen said...

If you're waiting for a comment before you go on to another topic, here you go...Life is good, and is made better by people like you.

You may proceed, Jim