Sunday, August 17, 2008

Water Storage


What if you had to go without water for a few days? I live in the desert and wonder what would happen if something went wrong with our water supply.
I just received a pamphlet in the mail from my city. It says that FEMA recommends every family in America have a 2 week supply of water.
This is from the pamphlet-
Rule of thumb: One gallon of water is needed per person per day. With careful rationing, this amount would be sufficient for drinking, food preparation, brushing teeth etc. An additional 1/2 gallon to 1 gallon per person per day would allow for hygiene care.
They recommend cleaned and sanitized two-liter soda bottles or heavy opaque plastic. Do not use milk jugs or juice bottles. They cannot be cleaned well enough and can crack and leak after a year or two.
I have saved some 2 liter pop bottles. I have them in the back of storage room shelves and in the back of cabinets. I also refill bleach bottles for washing hands. I know I couldn't live with myself if my children were hungry or thirsty.
My sister was without water for 2 days in N.C. She had water stored in pop bottles too. She was the only one in her neighborhood that had water and could use a toilet because she was able to pour water in the back of the tank. She went through 60 bottles before the water was turned back on.
With the world as crazy as it is right now, a little water stored away sounds like a reasonable thing to have on hand.

No comments: